Last Updated on November 19, 2022 by Matt
Betta fish are incredibly beautiful and impressive, known for their stunning long, flowing, colorful fins. As such you will need the best Betta fish tank possible to get full enjoyment and give them the best life possible.
Betta fish do need to live in a fish tank. If you have read or been informed that they can live in bowls or tiny tanks, unfortunately you have been misinformed. Bettas may be able to survive for a while in a bowl, but they will not be healthy and their lifespan will be a lot shorter.
In this article we will first of all guide you through what you should look for in a Betta fish tank and how to choose one, and review the best Betta fish tanks on the market at the moment.
IN THIS ARTICLE
List of the Best Betta Fish Tanks
What to look for in a Betta Fish Tank
Choosing the best Betta fish tank doesn’t need to be stressful; instead it should be an enjoyable experience. There are things you should keep your eye on to make sure your Betta fish will be in the best aquarium possible, but otherwise you should enjoy the experience of choosing a great aquarium for a great fish!
Adequate LED Lighting
Betta fish will like having plants in the tank. Not only will having a planted Betta tank make the aquarium as a whole look more natural and more attractive, but plants will also help to oxygenate the water.
LED lights will provide the correct spectrum of light to maximize health and growth of the plants you choose. Having proper LED lighting will also ensure that you get the best from your Betta. The light from an LED will show a Betta in all its glory, and allow you to enjoy the colors and the mesmerizing way they swim!
The same way that there are myths and rumors surrounding Betta fish being able to survive in bowls and incredibly small tanks, there are also myths that Betta fish can survive without a filter.
This myth stems from the fact that Betta fish are naturally found in still or slow moving waters and pools of South East Asia; if they are naturally found in still ponds therefore they must be able to survive without a filter in a fish tank. The myth also draws from the fact that Betta are labyrinth fish; they possess a labyrinth organ which allows them the breathe air as well as water.
However Betta fish will not be healthy without a fish tank filter. The difference is that their natural habitat is in very clean water; it is slow moving, but clean all the same. The same cannot be said for a fish tank without a filter. Without a filter toxic ammonia and nitrite will build up in the water column, as well as nitrate. Ammonia poisoning occurs even when ammonia levels are very low, as does nitrite poisoning. Nitrate poisoning occurs when nitrate levels rise to high dangerous levels. Phosphate levels will rise and can cause unwanted algal growth. Other dangerous chemicals and toxins will also build up, and will shorten the life span of your Betta. Water changes are also important in keeping these levels down; a product like the Python water changer can make water changes much easier. Using distilled or RODI water is much better than using treated tap water for water changes.
Therefore you should either look for a Betta tank that has a good built filter, or one that will allow you to install a good Betta filter. Look for triple stage filtration; the combination of mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration provides the clean and clear water that Bettas need to be healthy.
Betta Fish Tank Size
We have mentioned a couple times now that Betta fish cannot live in a bowl or tiny tank, but how big does their tank actually need to be?
Well that depends on whether you want to keep a single Betta on its own, or are going to have a community tank with a Betta as the centerpiece.
If you are planning on keeping just the single Betta fish, then as a minimum you will need a 5 gallon tank. This will allow the Betta to have plenty of space to move about and roam freely. Larger tanks can obviously be used for single Bettas as well, and can be useful for if you are going to keep a single Betta fish with snails or shrimp. 10 gallon fish tanks are perfect for a single Betta, or a Betta and a shrimp or two. Remember that more space simply means a happier and healthier fish.
If you are going to keep a community tank then as a bear minimum you need a 20 gallon tank. This will enable you to keep a single Betta and a couple other peaceful small fish that don’t have long fins or will bite the fins of the Betta. Our Betta fish tank mate article gives information on companions for Betta fish.
Best Betta Fish Tank Reviews
There’s no sense in carrying on any more; let’s get stuck in to our reviews of the best Betta fish tanks available on the market today.
1) Hagen HG Fluval Flex 15 Gallon Aquarium
- Freshwater 15 gallon aquarium kit with bold curved front design
- 7500K LED lamp supports plant growth and enhances fish colors with fully adjustable White plus RGB LEDs for endless color blends and LED remote can also control...
- Powerful 3-stage filtration for superior water quality and oversized mechanical (foam), chemical (carbon) and biological (Biomax) media included
- Multi-directional dual outputs for customized water flow
- Hidden rear filter compartment and stylish honeycomb wrap conceals water line and sides of rear compartment
The Hagen HG Fluval Flex 15 Gallon Aquarium is a brilliant tank to start off our list of the best Betta fish tanks. Fluval is a huge brand, and purchasing one of their products enables you to have peace of mind that you are getting a well built, solid unit that we’ll function exactly how you imagine. At 15 gallons the Fluval Flex is also a perfect size for a single Betta fish.
The filtration system is housed in the back hidden compartment. Being hidden in the back compartment means that you won’t have anything in the water column taking up room or taking away from your Betta! No filtration power is lost by having the filter in the back of the tank; it is still providing triple stage filtration.
Foam pads form mechanical filtration, BioMax rings allow colonization of beneficial bacteria for biological filtration, and the chemical filtration media is activated carbon. All the filter media you need is included, so you simply need to insert it and you’re ready to start cycling the tank. Remember to use an aquarium bacteria supplement such as API Quick Start or Seachem Stability to speed the cycling process along.
Not only is the filtration system hidden in the honeycomb designed back compartment; if you wish you can also purchase the Fluval M series heater which can be installed in this compartment too.
The slightly outwardly curved front gives the appearance of a bigger tank than what it actually is, and also makes it look very sleek and elegant.
Full LED lighting is also provided with the Fluval Flex 15. 48 white and 6 RGB LEDs provide spectacular lighting which will enhance the color of your Betta and also enable your plants to grow. The 7500K bulbs are very powerful and provide the sufficient brightness to allow low to medium light plants to grow.
With the FlexPad remote you can control the color scheme to your desire and mood, with over 80 different color blends available. You can also control weather effects, such as cloud cover, storm cover and lightning bolts.
Feeding your Betta is made very simple with the cut out in the hood.
2) Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit
- Tetra Glass Aquariums are made in the USA and are built to last with scratch resistant glass
- The Tetra Aquarium comes loaded with an LED hood, that provides a natural daytime effect and a Whisper Filter that is whisper quiet while providing powerful, dependable water flow
- Artificial Plants add a unique, natural ocean feel while giving your fish a place to hide which reduces fish stress
- The Tetra Kit includes: one 20 Gallon Glass Aquarium, one LED hood, one Tetra Mini UL Heater, one Tetra Whisper 20 Filter, one artificial Boxwood Plant Mat, four artificial plants. Add gravel and fish to complete your aquarium
- Aquarium Dimensions: 24.2" L x 12.4" W x 16.7" H
The Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit is a fantastic choice for Betta fish. Being 20 gallons enables your Betta to have plenty of room to move, and gives you the option of adding snails or shrimp with no worries at all. A 20 gallon tank will allow for a small bottom dwelling fish or two as well as a Betta. Kuhli loaches are a great option!
As with Fluval, Tetra is a big aquarium brand, so you also get the power of the Tetra brand behind you. As such the glass is scratch resistant and very sturdy, and the construction is brilliant. With the Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit you also get included an LED hood which will provide the tank with a natural daytime effect, and a moonlight glow at night. Also included is a Tetra HT 20 Heater, which will maintain the water at a steady and reliable temperature. As an extra bonus you will also receive an AquaSafe Sachet, TetraMin Sachet, TetraCare brochure, Whisper filter, digital thermometer, and a 4 inch Fish Net for good measure.
The included Whisper 20 Filter offers triple stage filtration for clean and clear aquarium water. Not only does it offer good filtration power, but you can also choose the flow rate. A dial on the filter can increase and decrease the flow; very useful for Betta fish, which prefer low water movement.
Plastic plants are provided with the Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit. This means that your tank will look the part straight from the off, but we would highly recommend using a good aquarium substrate and planting some great looking aquatic plants.
3) Marina LED Aquarium Kit
- 20 U.S. gallon glass aquarium
- Includes a Marina Slim S20 clip on filter with quick change filter cartridges
- Includes everything you need to get your aquatic home started
- Measures: 24 inches L x 12.5 inches W x 16.5 inches H
The Marina LED Aquarium Kit is a brilliant way to get started with either a very simple Betta set up or a larger community tank. There are three sizes of tank you can choose from with the Marina LED Aquarium Kit, 5, 10, or 20 gallon. Being a complete aquarium kit, everything you need to complete the setup is included. LED lighting and a powerful filter are both included.
The 5 gallon tank is perfect if you are wanting just a single Betta fish to enjoy. However this is their minimum space requirement, so we recommend the 10 gallon Marina LED Aquarium Kit if you are looking to have a single Betta fish. This will allow the Betta more room to thrive, and will also allow you more space for any plants, even a shrimp or two, if you wish. The 20 gallon Marina LED Aquarium Kit is perfect if you wish to give your Betta a bit of company!
Filtration is often an issue that is raised when buying a fish tank kit. However the Marina LED Aquarium Kit uses the Marina power filter. This filter offers triple stage filtration through Bio-Carb and Bio-Clear filter cartridges. Bio-Carb cartridges contain activated carbon, while Bio-Clear contains zeolite. Both of these are brilliant chemical filtration medias. They both contain Ceramitek, which is a highly porous ceramic biological filter medium for bacterial colonization. This filter will provide you Betta with a crystal clear clean water environment.
The hood of the Marina LED Aquarium Kit is pre-installed with natural daylight effect LED lighting. These LED bulbs are energy saving, so won’t drain power, and will provide superior light for your Betta. Low light plants will be able to grow well under this light, however plants requiring high intensity lighting may not get the light they need.
Not only do you get a very good HOB filter and LED lighting with the Marina Aquarium Kit, you also get a host of other products to get you started with your Betta fish tank. You will receive Fluval Aqua Plus Water Conditioner, Fluval Cycle Biological Supplement, and Fluval Max fish food. The water conditioner will detoxify tap water to make it safe for your Betta fish. Fluval Cycle Biological Supplement is a great bacteria supplement which reduces the time it takes to cycle a tank, and also reintroduces beneficial bacteria when you change a filter cartridge. Fluval max fish food will provide your Betta with a good diet while you get live foods!
4) Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit 5 Gallon
- 5-gallon etched glass aquarium with aluminum trim
- High-output 7000K LED with all-aluminum, waterproof casing for enhanced plant growth and fish colors
- Powerful 3-stage filtration for superior water quality and stylish honeycomb wrap to conceal rear filtration compartment
- Includes glass aquarium with cover; LED lighting system; safe, low-voltage transformer; circulation pump with output nozzle; foam filter block with handle; activated carbon insert; and BioMax insert
- Dimensions: 20.5 x 11.6 x 7.5 inches
For a single Betta fish the Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit 5 Gallon fish tank is awesome. Betta fish deserve a fish tank which looks as good as they do, and the Fluval Spec V certainly meets that standard. With durable etched glass and aluminium trim it will give a Betta the perfect home.
The built-in filter is housed in the hidden side compartment and provides triple stage filtration so your Betta will have clean and clear water. All the filtration media is included. Mechanical filtration is provided by a porous foam block which traps floating debris. Chemical filtration is in the form of activated carbon to remove impurities and odors, while a BioMax insert provides biological filtration by providing nitrifying bacteria with the perfect place to colonize.
You will be able to see your Betta fish in all its glory with the high output 7000K LEDs. The 37 LED bulbs are situated in a sleek overhanging system to provide your Betta and plants with brilliant illumination. These high output LED lights are designed to promote plant growth and allow everything on the tank to look their best.
There is space in the stylish honeycomb wrapped side compartment to place an aquarium heater. This is very useful in a small 5 gallon Betta fish tank like this as a heater in the main tank body can take up precious space.
Another great feature of the Fluval Spec V is the outflow from the filter can be lowered. This is very useful in Betta fish tanks as they do not like a high water flow.
5) Aqueon LED 20 Aquarium Kit
- All the equipment needed to get started in one box
- Kit includes: glass aquarium, low profile LED hood, QuietFlow power filter, filter cartridge, submersible preset heater, premium fish food sample, water conditioner sample, fish net, thermometer and setup guide
- Preset heater will keep your aquarium temperature at a constant 78 degrees, appropriate for most tropical fish
- Low profile full hood contains vibrant cool white LED lighting to bring your aquatic environment to life
- Filter has a red LED light that flashes to indicate when it’s time to change the cartridge
The Aqueon LED 20 Aquarium Kit is a brilliant way to start a small community Betta fish tank. The kit contains everything you need to start a new tank. A bacteria supplement is missing to speed up the cycling process but these are easily purchased. Contained in the kit is the Aqueon 20 gallon aquarium itself, a QuietFlow 10 LED PRO power filter, LED lighting, pre set heater, premium fish food, water conditioner, fish net, and stick-on thermometer.
What is brilliant about the Aqueon LED 20 Aquarium Kit is that the provided QuietFlow 10 LED PRO power filter has powerful five stage filtration. Your Betta fish will be provided with extremely clean and clear water; a perfect environment for them to thrive. It is self priming which allows for easy installation, and has an internal pump design which helps to reduce operational noise.
The aquarium hood has good quality LED lighting pre-installed. Your Betta will be illuminated under the cool white LED light, and any plants you have will be provided with the light they need to grow.
A complete setup guide is provided with the Aqueon LED 20 Aquarium Kit. This makes the installation process an absolute breeze as all you need to do is to follow the guidelines you are given.
There have been concerns that the filter is a little underpowered for a 20 gallon fish tank. It is therefore important that you don’t overstock this tank with this particular filter. Only have a Betta and two or three other small fish or shrimp. If you want any more then you may have to upgrade to a filter with a higher capacity.
6) Marineland Portrait Glass LED Aquarium Kit
- SLEEK DESIGN: Rounded corners and clear glass canopy allow viewing from multiple angles.
- DAYLIGHT/MOONLIGHT LIGHTING: Bright white LEDs create a shimmering sunlight effect; blue LEDs produce a moonlit glow.
- EASY ACCESS: Hinged LED lighting and sliding glass canopy.
- SIZE: 5-gallon aquarium fits Marineland Rite-Size Z Filter Cartridges.
- HIDDEN FILTRATION: Advanced, 3-stage filtration is out of sight, enhancing aquarium viewing.
The Marineland Portrait Glass LED Aquarium Kit is an incredibly sleek and good looking 5 gallon fish tank perfect for a single Betta fish. This fish tank has everything you want in order to display your Betta. Rounded corners and a clear glass canopy allows spectacular views into the tank from virtually every angle. Not to mention the other features which makes this a perfect Betta fish tank.
LED lighting is installed in this aquarium kit on a hinged bracket mount. This hinge makes it very easy to move it back out of the way to remove the sliding glass cover for feeding or aquarium cleanings. The LED lights themselves are perfect for the 5 gallon environment; bright white LEDs provide a shimmering sunlight effect while blue LED bulbs provide a moonlight glow to evening use. It is easy to switch between the three available settings; off, blue LEDs only, and both white and blue LEDs.
The filter is hidden in the back compartment, and is a triple stage filter with an adjustable outflow. This adjustable outflow is perfect for Betta fish as they prefer low water movement. Try adjusting the flow and see what your Betta prefers! The filter uses the Marineland Rite-Size Z Cartridge which are very easily replaceable. They contain filter floss to remove floating debris and activated carbon to remove impurities. The filter also contains Marineland Bio-Foam to house bacteria for biological filtration.
The only thing missing from the Marineland Portrait Glass LED Aquarium Kit is a mini aquarium heater suitable for 5 gallon tanks. However these are very cheap to find online so don’t be discouraged!
7) Hygger Horizon 8 Gallon LED Glass Aquarium Kit
- 🐠【Hygger Aquarium Kit Includes】a 7W 110GPH internal power filter pump, a colored led aquarium light, a 8 gallon glass tank with a decorative 3D rockery mountain background. The 3D background makes the whole aquarium looks cool like a dream word underwater, is a great rest, play spot, shelters for little fish. Also you can plant some green grass on the rockery mountain.
- 🐠【Mutil-modes LED Light】The aquarium led light is DC12V/18W, with extendable brackets, length can be adjusted from 0 to 19 inch. It has a external digital controller, you can use it to set the lighting time to 3, 6 or 12 hours, to adjust the light brightness from 100% to 10%, 5 levels of brightness in total, to shift the light modes: White LEDS, Blue+white+red LEDS, Red+ blue LEDS.
- 🐠【Durable Power Filter】The aquarium power filter is 7W 110GPH, for 2-8 gallon tank use. It's a super quiet and durable filter, and can be use for low water, the upper part is the 2 stage filtration system, the bottom part is water pumping systerm to pump the water upward. Please NOTE this filter may be too strong for small fish that is not long than 2 inch, may suck small fish, if you keep small in the tank, please don't run the filter or don't run it all the time
- 🐠【New View Curved Tank】Tank size: 19" L x 11.8" W x 9.6" H. This glass fish tank has a unique convex arc curve shape, can widen your view on the aquarium, and can hold more capacity of water. The total tank volume is 8 gallon, it can hold 6 gallon of water, because the tank has a undetachable 3D background decor. When it holds full water, the whole tank weighs about 68 pounds.
- 🐠【Multi-protection Packing】We used 3 layers of packing to pack the aquarium kit and with light lifting label, the innermost layers is a super sturdy poly foam with excellent cushion. We have done the shipping test by sending 3 of the packs to 3 different distance places and find the glass tanks are still in good condition when received. So don't worry the tank will not be broken during the shipping, if you find tank broken when open the package, please take a photo and send it to the seller.
The Hygger Horizon 8 Gallon LED Glass Aquarium Kit comes kitted out with basically everything you need to start a fantastic Betta tank. A 7 watt filter pump and LED lighting is included, and the stunning 8 gallon glass tank comes equipped with rock decorations on the back panel.
The filter is an internal power filter which returns water via a spray bar. Unfortunately this is only double stage filtration, with polyfiber floss mechanical filtration and activated carbon chemical filtration. The filter floss should house some bacteria too however. It keeps the tank sufficiently clean for one Betta fish.
A real highlight of the Hygger Horizon 8 Gallon LED Glass Aquarium Kit is the LED lighting. It is able to be programmed via a control panel on the power cord. There are five levels of brightness and three different color modes, and you can also easily set a 3, 6, or 12 hour lighting cycle. There are white, blue, and red LED bulbs for amazon colors.
The tank itself is stunning. It possesses a unique convex arc curved shape, which helps to widen your view of your tank and of your Betta. The glass is strong, durable, and crystal clear.
8) Landen 25.4 Gallon Rimless Low Iron Aquarium Tank
- [Rich landscape application] Rich landscape design, suitable for all kinds of scenes.
- [Chance of Ultra White Vat] 8mm thick, high light transmittance and low iron glass, 91% transparency, bezel-less design, wide vision brings you immersive viewing experience.
- [High quality manufacturing standard] Standard right Angle, mirror edge grinding, accurate size, uniform joints, smooth feel.
- [Fish tank specification] Size :23.6 "length × 15.7" width × 15.7 "high (60cm × 40cm × 40cm); Thickness: 8 mm.
- [Packing, Transportation and Gift] Net weight: 47.17 pounds, Packing weight: 69.44 pounds; Professional packaging, transportation safety is guaranteed; Free shock absorber for aquarium made of EVA material.
The Landen 25.4 Gallon Rimless Low Iron Aquarium Tank is a brilliant Betta fish tank if you are looking to build your own personal and unique environment for your Betta.
At 25.4 gallons it is a perfect size to include some bottom dwelling fish such as Kuhli Loaches, or to include some other small peaceful fish.
The fish tank itself is flawless; the tempered glass is incredibly strong and won’t crack or warp. Low iron glass ensures it is crystal clear which allows for brilliant viewing of the setup you create.
There are no added extras that come with this fish tank. Therefore you can have full control over which Betta fish filter you purchase and install. The same goes for the LED lighting, heater, thermometer, substrate, decorations, and plants. Having this control is very good, especially if you want to create your ideal environment.
If you want to have plants which require high intensity lighting ensure that you get good quality LED lighting.
Our Recommendation for the Best Betta Fish Tank
There’s a reason that all of these fish tanks have made our list of the best Betta fish tanks. They are all brilliant and will provide a suitable home for your Betta fish for you to display proudly.
However there is always a favorite; for us for a single Betta fish it is the Hagen HG Fluval Flex 15 Gallon Aquarium. With triple stage filtration and brilliant LED lighting all you need is a heater and to fill the tank and you have everything to provide your Betta with a brilliant home. AT 15 gallons as well there is plenty of space for your Betta to thrive. You can always add a shrimp or two if you desire with the space as well.
For a community Betta tank our thoughts are with the Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit. Everything you need to start a new tank is included, and there is enough space for your Betta to be housed with some small bottom dwelling fish.
Hopefully this complete 2021 guide to the best Betta fish tanks has been informative and useful.
As a round off, you want at least a 5 gallon fish tank for a single Betta fish. This will allow them the space they need to thrive. Ideally they would be in a little more water volume but 5 gallons will allow them to be fully healthy. If you want to start a community tank with your Betta as the showpiece then you should be looking at a 20 gallon tank minimum, with a careful view not to overstock; Bettas need space!
Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any of these tanks, or if you have a Betta fish tank that isn’t on here that you think should be!
You may also like the following articles: